Mechanical Engineer - Environmental Control System, HVAC
Posted on: March 17, 2023
Challenging Today. Reinventing Tomorrow.
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
At Jacobs, we challenge the status quo and redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges, transforming big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed - today and into tomorrow
Jacobs Technology provides overall management and implementation of ground systems capabilities, flight hardware processing and launch operations at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. These tasks will support the International Space Station, Ground Systems Development and Operations, and the Space Launch System, Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle and Launch Services programs.
Supports the Spaceflight Processing Department's engineering function. Provides technical leadership for SLS/Orion Environmental Controls (ECS) and Ground Cooling (GCS) Systems, including technical procedure development and operational support.
- Previous experience with ECS/GCS is desired, but not required. Duties may also include technical oversight of new installation, construction activities to validate compliance with contract documents, particularly in the field of HVAC system to assure ASHRAE codes are being adhered to.
- Create and execute component and subsystem design verification/acceptance plans and test methods to validate performance to requirements. Depending on the project type, this can vary from conceptual design to revisions to existing designs and modifications to existing structures or Ground Support Equipment (GSE).
- Conduct system testing/validation, troubleshooting/investigating equipment failures and interpret analysis data/technical drawings/schematics to resolve anomalies and provide written corrective action.
- Generate and coordinate maintenance, special testing procedures required to maintain equipment and systems in the prescribed condition.
- Attain system certifications for system and console operations, ultimately to operate ECS/GCS system console for vehicle tank fill, drain and launch operations.
- Provide technical support as part of the TOSC GFAST (Ground Flight Application Software Team) development team. Perform integration across the TOSC sub-system teams to assure continuity of the software products.
- Support system and vehicle architecture team meetings.
- Duties also include preparation of all essential system engineering documentation components required for a complete and viable system.
- Responsible for planning, cost development, management, and scheduling for assigned projects.
- Must have ability to successfully interface with client representatives and manage completion of tasks on schedule and within budget to the customer's satisfaction.
- Work shall assure that facilities operate in a safe and appropriate manner and comply with all federal, state and local codes/regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Off-shift and weekend work may be occasionally required.
Here's What You'll Need:
Entry level/Level I candidates are not eligible for a Sign-on Bonus
BS degree in Mechanical engineering, Aerospace engineering, or a related engineering/science field from an ABET accredited engineering school.
- Experience with HVAC/R Equipment design, operations, development and mechanical & electrical troubleshooting/analysis experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of heat transfer and fluid dynamics is required.
- Experience with Rockwell Automation PLC (RS Logix 5000. PLC/5, Factory Talk View, etc.) is a benefit.
- HVAC/R Equipment inspection and testing experience is preferred ("Universal Technician" as Required by 40 CFR, Part 82, Subpart F Certification is desirable).
- Excellent writing, communication, presentation and customer interface skills required.
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively in a team environment.
- Must be able to coordinate work between multiple project disciplines.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects without missing deadlines or sacrificing accuracy.
- Experience with ProE modeling and drafting within Windchill is highly desirable.
- Must be self-motivated, demonstrate initiative, and be able to work independently or with minimal supervision.
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, if necessary.
- May be required to provide guidance to less experienced engineers.
- Ability to perform root cause failure analysis to component level.
Minimum Qualifications Requirement for consideration as:
To qualify for Engineer Level II:
Must have a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or other applicable engineering discipline from an accredited university.
Minimum of three (3) years of progressive and relevant experience.
To qualify for Engineer Level III:
Must have Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or other applicable engineering discipline from an accredited university.
Minimum of ten (10) years of progressive and relevant experience.
Will be required to climb stairs in order to access equipment for trouble shooting.
Will be required to wear hearing protection, eye protection and other associated personal protective equipment.
Position may involve extended periods of sitting or standing.
Physical requirements are: sitting, walking, standing, extensive use of stairs, and access to remote structures.
Position is located on a hazardous testing facility; must be able to quickly evacuate buildings in the event of an emergency.
Will be required to work inside and outside throughout the test complex.
Position may require daily individual to travel to different areas on site.
Walking on uneven terrain including paved areas, gravel/rocks, and dirt/sand is required to access various locations on the facility.
Climbing ladders and platforms may be necessary.
All work must be completed in a safe manner in accordance with NASA and Company
Equipment and Machines
Computers and printers used for producing reports and schedules.
Variety of equipment used in testing.
Full-time regular work hours between Monday-Friday.
Position may require occasional overtime including weekend work depending on task.
Must be dependable and punctual.
Shift work may be required.
Other Essential Functions
Must be able to accurately communicate ideas in writing and verbal communication.
Must be able to travel to support position requirements. This may include travel to and from customer location, which may involve airline travel. In some cases, accommodations can be made for POV, if necessary.
Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
Must comply with all "drug free workplace" requirements as mandated by directives issued by the appropriate federal contracting officer and the company, which requires drug testing for use of illegal drugs by employees in sensitive positions.
Government security clearance may be required in the future.
Must maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters good relations with customers, clients, co-workers, and management.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) and supplemental language (https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/eeoc_gina_supplement.pdf) .
Challenging Today. Reinventing Tomorrow.
Keywords: Jacobs, Orlando , Mechanical Engineer - Environmental Control System, HVAC, Professions , Orlando, Florida
here to apply!