Underwriting Professional Development Program: Construction Surety
Company: The Travelers Companies
Posted on: June 25, 2022
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a
nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries
for this role across the country. The actual salary for this
position will be determined by a number of factors, including the
scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education,
training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other
conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation
and benefits program, employees are also eligible for
performance-based cash incentive awards.
$51,200.00 - $84,500.00
What Is the Opportunity?
The Bond and Specialty Insurance division of Travelers is seeking
to add a new member to our Construction Surety team in an
Underwriting Development Program role. This is an opportunity to
join a dedicated collaborative team of underwriters in a highly
visible and challenging role. Our Underwriting Professional
Development Program (UPDP) provides participants the opportunity to
build a unique and successful career within a highly specialized
niche of the insurance industry.
From the construction of the Hoover Dam to the renovation of the
Statue of Liberty, Travelers' Construction Services provides
performance guarantees and related services to general and heavy
contractors, construction managers, and subcontractors.
Construction Services underwriting includes financial and contract
analysis, customer meetings, job site visits, and consultative
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to
What Will You Do?
Our comprehensive program consists of a blend of mentorship,
classroom instruction, and on-the-job training leading to
increasing responsibility and accountability.
The UPDP prepares you for a career in underwriting, which is a
dynamic blend of the following:
* Financial analysis/risk assessment: gather and analyze pertinent
information in order to evaluate the acceptability of business
* Marketing: build and maintain relationships with agents, brokers,
and insured clients to help achieve business goals
* New business development and retention: sell to, negotiate with,
and influence agents and brokers to manage a profitable book of
Underwriting & Pricing:
* Learn the Bond and Specialty Insurance business and how to
underwrite (Risk Assessment, Financial Analysis, and decision
making skills) for Bond and Specialty Insurance and accounts in a
* Assist in Underwriting and pricing accounts in accordance with
business strategies. Formulate and communicate recommendations
based on learned underwriting skill.
* Gain an understanding of key Business Unit strategies and how to
* Learn how to perform financial analysis consistent with Business
* Learn the workflow, guidelines and processing steps associated
with the BU underwriting platform(s).
* Begin to develop relationships with clients to establish the
foundation to interact and effectively deal with account
* Learn how to develop productive agency/client relationships in
support of business objectives through a disciplined sales
management approach and training (i.e., planning and follow-up for
agent/broker and prospective end customer visits/meetings) in
support of business objectives.
* Learn how to effectively execute sales plan.
* Develop relationships with Home Office. Attend Hub Business Unit
meetings as part of on the job training.
* Develop strong customer service skills (consistency, quick
response, knowledge of products).
* Learn about the potential uses of analytics and tools to assist
in the sales and pricing (if applicable) of accounts.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
* Bachelor degree preferred.
* Entry level position.
* Gain overall understanding of all Bond and Specialty Insurance
Business Units and Travelers businesses.
* Gain an understanding of Bond and Specialty Insurance
* Learn and develop Product knowledge.
* Learn documentation procedures/standards
* Ability to use all Bond and Specialty Insurance technology tools
* Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes,
performance and results.
* Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes,
synthesizes and compares information to understand issues,
identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative
solutions to support sound decision making.
* Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or
* Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening
* Provides service excellence to internal or external clients.
* Exercises sound judgment, makes decisions and commits to a
* Works with and includes people from different backgrounds,
experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as
assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and
* Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive
relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve
* Works together in situations when actions are interdependent and
a team is mutually responsible to produce a result
* Takes ideas different from own seriously; shares responsibility
and collaborates with others; accepts criticism well; does not
assume a single best way.
* Has an accurate picture of strengths and weaknesses and is
willing to improve.
* Seeks out experiences that may change perspective or provide an
opportunity to learn new things.
* Provides good role model for employees and keeps a positive
* Acts in accordance with stated values; follows through on
promises; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions and
* A current/valid drivers license is required.
What is a Must Have?
* Bachelor degree or one year of relevant business experience
* A current/valid drivers license is required. 20% travel
What Is in It for You?
* Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members -
including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible
for coverage from the first day of employment.
* Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions
dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to
an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in
the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment
toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual
contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a
Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
* Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of
20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company
* Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of
tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness
goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to
professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources
to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're
eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed
* Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the
communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved.
Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that
enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique
abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization
and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Orlando , Underwriting Professional Development Program: Construction Surety, Professions , Orlando, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!