Registered Nurse - Med Surg
Company: Fresenius Medical Care
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Registered NurseJob Description Casselberry, Florida Job ID
R0017089 Available Openings 1
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Functions as part of the hemodialysis health care team as a
Registered Nurse Applicant under the direction or supervision of a
Staff Registered Nurse to ensure provision of quality patient care
on a daily basis in accordance with FMS policies procedures and
training. Supports the FMCNA's mission vision values and customer
service philosophy. Supports the FMCNA commitment to the Quality
Enhancement Program (QEP) and CQI Activities including those
related to patient satisfaction and actively participates in
process improvement activities that enhance the likelihood that
patients will achieve the FMCNA Quality Enhancement Goals (QEP).
Adheres to all requirements of the FMCNA Compliance Program and FMS
patient care and administrative policies. Employees hired into this
position will be required to obtain their nursing license and
registration within the time frame outlined in state specific
regulations or within 90 days from hire date whichever comes
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Directs Patient Care Technician's provision of safe and effective
delivery of chronic hemodialysis therapy to patients in compliance
with standards outlined in the facility policy procedure manuals as
well as regulations set forth by the corporation state and federal
* Delegates tasks to all direct patient care staff including but
not limited to LVN/LPNs Patient Care Technicians and Dialysis
* Assesses daily patient care needs and develops appropriate
patient care assignments.
* Routinely monitors patient care staff for appropriate techniques
and adherence to facility policy and procedures.
* Participates in staff training and orientation of new staff as
* Participates in all required staff meetings as scheduled.
* Ensures educational needs of patients and family are met
regarding End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD).
* Provides ongoing education to patients regarding their renal
disease vascular access and dialysis therapy and other related
* Discusses with patient and records education related to
diet/fluid and medication compliance.
* Provides patient specific detailed education regarding adequacy
measures where applicable - Online Clearance Monitoring (OLC)
Adequacy Monitoring Program (AMP) Urea Kinetic Modeling (UKM).
* Ensures transplant awareness modality awareness and drive
* Educates patients regarding laboratory values and the
relationship to adequate dialysis therapy compliance with treatment
schedule medications and fluid.
* Provides safe and effective delivery of care to patients with
* Accurately implements treatment prescriptions including Sodium
(Na) modeling prescription and Ultrafiltration modeling (where
appropriate) to ensure stable treatment therapy as indicated.
* Assesses patients' response to hemodialysis treatment therapy
making appropriate adjustments and modifications to the treatment
plan as indicated by the prescribing physician. Communicates
problems or concerns to the Team Leader or physician.
* Identifies and communicates patient related issues to Team Leader
* Initiates Initial and Annual Nursing Assessment and ongoing
evaluation and documentation of patient care needs according to FMC
Policies and Procedures.
* Actively participates in the pre evaluation initiation monitoring
termination access homeostasis and post evaluation of patients
receiving hemodialysis treatment therapy according to established
* Takes appropriate intervention for changes in patient adequacy
status and troubleshooting access flow issues as identified by
OLC/AMP yellow lights.
* Provides supervises (if applicable) and monitors hemodialysis
access care according to established procedures.
* Implements administers monitors and documents patient's response
to prescribed interdialytic transfusions including appropriate
notification of adverse reactions to physician and appropriate
* Ensures accurate and complete documentation by Patient Care
Technician on the Hemodialysis Treatment Sheet.
* Reviews transcribes and enters physician lab orders accurately
into the Medical Information System.
* Ensures appropriate preparation of lab requisitions for Spectra
or alternate lab.
* Ensures correct labs tubes are utilized for prescribed lab
specimens and that lab draw and processing procedures are performed
appropriately for all lab samples.
* Identifies and ensures appropriate follow-through regarding
missed labs and specimens reported to be insufficient according to
company policies and procedures.
* Ensures all specimens are appropriately packaged according to
Department of Transportation (DOT) policies and procedures relating
to shipment of blood or body fluid specimens and potentially
* Ensures that all labs are directed and delivered to appropriate
* Reports alert/panic and abnormal labs results to appropriate
* Ensures lab results are forwarded to physicians as requested.
* Enforces all company approved policies and procedures as well as
regulations set forth by state and federal agencies and
* Maintains overall shift operation in a safe efficient and
* Act as a resource for other staff members.
* Routinely meets with the Clinical Manager to discuss personnel
and patient care status issues and information.
* Collaborate and communicate with physicians and other members of
the healthcare team to interpret adjust and coordinate care
provided to the patient.
* Provides assistance as needed to patients regarding prescription
refills according to FMCNA Policies.
* Ensures all physician orders are transcribed and entered into the
Medical Information system in a timely manner.
* Oversees all documentation of patient information.
* Maintains facility drug list for all required stock
* Maintains competency with all emergency operational procedures
and initiates CPR and emergency measures in the event of a cardiac
and/or respiratory arrest.
* Ensures verification and availability of adequate emergency
* Ensures provision of appropriate vaccinations immunizations and
annual Tuberculosis (TB) testing.
* Administers medications as prescribed or in accordance with
approved algorithm(s) and documents appropriate medical
justification if indicated.
* Administers PRN medications as prescribed and completes
appropriate documentation of assessment of effectiveness.
* Maintains appropriate recording of controlled substances as
required by law.
* Assists with the coordination of patient transportation if
* Ensures a clean safe and sanitary environment in the dialysis
facility treatment area.
* Ensures competency in the operation of all dialysis-related
equipment safely and effectively.
* Ensures all patient stations including machines and chairs are
clean and free of blood and placed appropriately.
* Ensures that all blood spills are immediately addressed according
to FMCNA Bloodborne Pathogen Control Policies.
MEDICAL RECORDS & DOCUMENTATION:
* Ensures all relevant data including physician orders lab results
vital signs and treatment parameters and patient status are
documented appropriately and entered into Medical Information
* Ensures all appropriate patient related treatment data is entered
into the Medical Information System.
* Ensures all FMCNA policies regarding patient admission transfer
and discharge are appropriately implemented.
* Ensures and verify accuracy of Patient Care Technician
* Reviews and ensures appropriate daily completion of Hemodialysis
Treatment Sheets by all patient care staff.
* Ensures that all appropriate procedures are followed regarding
opening and closing procedures inclusive of monitoring that all
staff and patients have safely left the premises.
* Initiates documents and completes ongoing Continuous Quality
Improvement (CQI) activities including monthly reports.
* Completes monthly nurses' progress note.
* Ensures patient medical records are complete with appropriate
information documentation and identification on each page
(Addressograph label is on all chart forms).
* Reviews transplant status and follows established procedure
regarding appropriate action to be taken.
* Completes patient care plans for new patients within the initial
30 days or any patients deemed unstable requiring monthly patient
* Completes any long-term programs that are due. Annually
* Completes initial and annual Nursing History and Assessment
* Ensures completion of Annual Standing Order Review with each
physician as required.
* As a condition of continued employment you are required to obtain
and maintain any required credentials or certifications necessary
for your position in an active and valid status (including renewal
of such credentials or certifications prior to any expiration
date). In the event that your credential or certified status
changes you must notify your supervisor immediately.
* Capable of working in a challenging environment which requires
the ability to handle demanding situations multitasking and
remaining flexible to changing needs.
* Maintain regular and punctual attendance.
* Perform other related duties as assigned.
Additional responsibilities may include focus on one or more
departments or locations. See applicable addendum for department or
location specific functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
* The physical demands and work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee encounters
while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
* The position provides direct patient care that regularly involves
heavy lifting and moving of patients and assisting with ambulation.
Equipment aids and/or coworkers may provide assistance. This
position requires frequent prolonged periods of standing and the
employee must be able to bend over. The employee may occasionally
be required to move with assistance machines and equipment of up to
200 lbs. and may lift chemical and water solutions of up to 30 lbs.
up as high as 5 feet.
* The work environment is characteristic of a health care facility
with air temperature control and moderate noise levels. May be
exposed to infectious and contagious diseases/materials.
* Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing.
* Current appropriate state Temporary Permit.
* Must meet the practice requirements in the state in which he or
she is employed.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
* 0 - 1 year's related experience.
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free
workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
Keywords: Fresenius Medical Care, Orlando , Registered Nurse - Med Surg, Healthcare , Casselberry, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!