Hardware Engineering Lead
Company: General Dynamics Mission Systems
Posted on: July 15, 2019
Basic QualificationsBachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, a
related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent
experience) plus a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience; or
Master's degree plus a minimum of 3 years of relevant
CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS:Department of Defense Secret clearance
preferred at the time of hire. Department of Defense Secret
clearance must be obtainable in a reasonable time after hire to
support program efforts. Applicants selected will be subject to a
U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility
requirements for access to classified information. Due to the
nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is
required.Responsibilities for this PositionGeneral Dynamics Mission
Systems has an immediate opening for a Hardware Engineering Lead.
This position provides an opportunity to further advance the
cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation's core
defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission
Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop
solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
Functions as lead for a small engineering team by:
- Leads and plans all hardware engineering activities for a
multi-disciplined team consisting of mechanical engineers,
electrical engineers and CAD designers. Experience with SAFE AGILE
development is a plus.
- Leads hardware development activities throughout the project
lifecycle following a structured design process consistent with
General Dynamics established policies and procedures and best
- Ensures that engineering designs and solutions are fully
compliant to all performance, quality and unit cost
- Leads the transition from engineering development into
manufacturing to ensure engineering designs are production
- Assists in developing project plans, project schedules and
headcount resource forecasts.
- Interfaces with resource managers to ensure staffing and work
objectives for the team are being met.
- Understands and interprets the technical, organizational and
process aspects of assigned tasks and relates these to the
technical needs of the overall project and/or
- Monitors the development of mid-size projects from kickoff
through delivery to ensure assigned tasks are completed within
project schedules and budgets.
- Participates in the development of company proposals including
the development of technical solutions, resource estimation,
bidding, project planning, and basis of estimates.
Functions as a contributor by:
- Performs design and development of mechanical and
electromechanical rack mounted and transit case mounted systems,
air flow analysis and design for rack cooling, and structural
design and analysis.
- Provides technical input to project and engineering management
for linking project-related strategy to ensure business goals are
- Actively identifies technical and organizational risks and
ensures they are included and monitored in risk mitigation
- Participates in development of program strategies and teaming
strategies as they relate to the assigned project
- Mentors junior level engineers in mechanical principles,
project performance and engineering design processes.
- Demonstrates good judgment and advanced decision making skills
in selecting methods and techniques for the development of creative
and innovative solutions.
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data
requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Travel may be required
- Security clearance is required
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be proficient with 3D solid modeling CAD tools such as
CREO and SolidWorks.
- Must be proficient with Parametric Data Management systems,
- Proficient knowledge with technical standards (ASME Y14.100,
MIL-STD 31000), manufacturing/fabrication methods,
- Experience with interpreting COTS and MIL-STD level
environmental requirements, and designing and testing systems that
are compliant to these environmental requirements.
- Must possess proficient verbal and written skills for the
purpose of preparing and presenting engineering designs at
technical reviews, and the development of technical papers and
- Must have proven experience with leading engineering teams and
- Shows initiative on assignments, exercises independent judgment
and professionally executes projects with little direction and
PREFERRED DEGREE TYPES AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical
- Prefer 8 years of relevant experience
- CREO 3.0 solid-modeling and drawing creation
- Windchill, ProLink, EPDM, ARAS PDM systems
- Knowledge of document change control and document control
- Working knowledge of Product Line Engineering (PLE) methods and
procedures is a plus.
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and FEA tools is
- Experience with SAFE AGILE development is a plus.
Company OverviewGeneral Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a
diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and
services that enable customers to successfully execute missions
across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000+ top
professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the
bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given
the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty,
alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits
and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared
sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment
where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and
what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented
Keywords: General Dynamics Mission Systems, Orlando , Hardware Engineering Lead, Engineering , Orlando, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!