OpenEmbedded Engineer (Fully Remote)
Posted on: August 7, 2022
Linaro has driven open source software development on Arm since
2010, providing the tools, Linux kernel quality and security needed
for a solid foundation to innovate on. Linaro works with member
companies and the open source community to maintain the Arm
software ecosystem and enable new markets on Arm architecture.
If you have a passion for open source and want to be part of a
community, then you belong at Linaro. Linaro offers you the
opportunity to advance your career in an outstanding environment
for professional growth, all while working alongside a team of
world-class open source experts on leading edge technology.
The Linaro System Technologies Group (STG) is looking for an
engineer experienced in OpenEmbedded/Yocto to join our team.
Linaro specializes in developing open source operating system
software for the Arm architecture across a variety of technology
market segments (IoT, embedded, desktop, edge, and enterprise). The
STG organization creates and maintains OE distributions for
purpose-specific Arm architecture devices, automates builds in
continuous integration, automates testing on physical and virtual
devices, develops device automation tools, and automates test
reporting. Our device automation tools enable hardware provisioning
and test scheduling, orchestrate large-scale testing, and report on
regressions in continuous test and integration environments.
In this role you will work with operating system and firmware
engineers to integrate the component into a trusted operating
systems software stack using OpenEmbedded. You will maintain that
OE distribution and manage its releases as the underlying software
changes to meet new security needs. You will automate builds and
testing of the OS software stack on a variety of edge-based and
embedded devices using the LAVA automated testing framework.
The ideal candidate is able and eager to participate in public open
source projects with developers around the world. They are strong
in OpenEmbedded, Python, modern CI/CD best practices, and are also
able to dig in and troubleshoot a failing build or test.
- Integrate secure firmware, kernel, and operating system
components (such as secure containers) into a functional
OpenEmbedded distribution for IoT, Embedded, EDGE, and virtual
- Implement and maintain BSP layers in OE for a variety of
embedded, IoT, and Edge devices.
- Automate devices in LAVA for integration into Linaro testing
- Work with the TuxSuite team to automate and maintain
OpenEmbedded builds in TuxSuite CI.
- Release OpenEmbedded based distributions on a release cadence
(generating release artefacts and release notes)
- Implement CI loops for Linaro projects building a variety of
OSes and deploying across a variety or hardware platforms
- Contribute as-needed to open source projects such as SQUAD,
LAVA, and TuxSuite.
Required Skills and Experience
- Experience in OpenEmbedded/Yocto distribution creation
(including BSP layers)
- Experience with AutoConf, AutoMake, CMake, or other build
- Experience using and automating git
- Strong python background
- Understanding of operating system composition (firmware,
kernel, filesystems, device-tree, system libraries).
- Experience with CI/CD systems, automation, and best
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and
internationally three to four times a year
- Excellent communication skills in English, both verbal and
- Ability to be productive in a remote position as part of a
globally distributed teamDesired Skills and Experience
- Experience with the Linux development process
- Existing contributor to the OpenEmbedded/Yocto open source
community (ideally a maintainer)
- Comfortable with working on open source projects, and having
code reviewed in public
- University engineering or computer science degree or equivalent
Keywords: Linaro, Orlando , OpenEmbedded Engineer (Fully Remote), Engineering , Orlando, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!